Many Calgarians do not know much about oral cancer and as April, is Oral Cancer Awareness Month, our NE Calgary dentists would like to shed some light. For instance, did you know that when you book an appointment at our NE Calgary Dental Clinic, our dentists complete a check for oral cancer screening as part of your regular dental exam.
On the Canadian Dental Association website, they state tips for prevention of oral cancer including:
- See your dentist regularly for dental exams and ask about oral cancer screenings.
- Stop using tobacco products – ask your dentist about tools to help you quit.
- Limit alcohol consumption.
- Limit sun exposure and use U/V protective lip balms.
- Eat a healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegetables.
- Check your mouth regularly for signs or symptoms and report any changes in your mouth to your dentist right away.
To read more on oral cancer from the Canadian Dental Association, click here