Tired of hearing ‘there’s a cavity’ every time you take your child to the dentist? NE Calgary Dentists at Discover Dental have some quick and easy tips that help eliminate the development of decay and keep everyone smiling.
General Dentists at Discover Dental want parents to know that childhood dental decay can be avoided when certain healthy habits are developed early. Habits like daily brushing and flossing, limited exposure to sugary and acidic food, drinking plenty of water throughout the day, eating a balanced diet rich in vitamins and minerals, and visiting your Calgary Dentist for regular cleanings and exams all play a huge part in protecting teeth and oral health. Children who eat large amounts of simple carbohydrates (processed food), sugary treats and drinks, and fail to brush and floss their teeth daily will be at risk for developing cavities and loosing teeth to dental decay. But the risk for tooth decay can be reduced dramatically when the following steps are followed:
- Daily Brushing and Flossing is the foundation of a healthy mouth and teeth regardless of age and dietary habits.
2. Eat a diet that is rich in vitamins, minerals, complex carbohydrates and lean protein.
3. Avoid eating high sugar and acidic food in between meals. Sodas (including diet) are highly acidic and contribute to the erosion of enamel.
4. It’s ok to have some treats with a meal – but don’t snack on high sugar foods throughout the day – the longer sugar is on tooth surfaces the greater risk of decay starting.
5. Drink water after a meal or snacking, as water returns the PH of the mouth to a neutral level.
6. See your NE Calgary Dentist regularly for exams and cleanings. Early detection of any soft spots on enamel can be treated to prevent a cavity from forming. And don’t refuse x-rays at every appointment, as this is the only way your dentist will be able to diagnose any issues that are occurring in between teeth.